Рекомендации по эксплуатацииВернуться к списку рекомендаций по эксплуатации
Drive belts. Where does the whistle come from? Recommendations for use and installation.
With the onset of cold weather sometimes there is an extraneous sound from under the hood - a whistle. Why? The same question sometimes arises for those who bought a new belt, changed it, and he whistled the next morning.
Most often, if there is a whistle, squeak or creak under the hood, there is only one reason - the drive belt has whistled. In most modern cars, the drive belt, in addition to the generator, can rotate the power steering pulleys, the air conditioning compressor, and the engine cooling pump. The belt can be one on all nodes, or maybe several. The task of the belt is to transmit torque from the engine crankshaft to the generator and attachments. Any of the available belts may whistle. There may be several reasons for whistling:
• the belt is stretched due to normal working temporary wear and slips on the pulleys;
• wet weather often causes the belt to whistle; condensed moisture on the belt and pulleys allows the belt to slip on the pulleys for a while;
• cold weather can also provoke a whistle of the drive belt, as a rule this is due to thickened grease in the bearings of the generator or bypass and tension rollers;
• when the air conditioner is turned on, after a long pause from the previous start;
• in case of unsatisfactory technical condition of the generator, hydraulic booster and other equipment driven from the drive belt;
• during installation, the new belt was not properly tensioned.
In all these cases, the whistle appears due to friction of the belt on the pulleys, bypass and tension rollers as a result of slippage. That is, if the belt can not crank the pulley of the generator or other equipment, then it simply slips, making an unpleasant sound like a whistle, squeak or creak. In any case, if you heard an unpleasant squeak from under the hood, then it is necessary to come to a car service nearest to you at a safe speed, explain the problem, after which professional mechanics will fix the problem.
If critical wear of the belt is detected, it will be replaced with a new one. If the drive belt is in good condition, but stretched during operation, then it will be tightened with the necessary effort. If the drive belt was recently replaced and it was cleaning, it means that the belt has assumed its working position on the pulleys and rollers and it must be tightened again in the service station.
How often do I need to change drive belts? As a rule, an external inspection of the belt and checking its tension is carried out once every 20 thousand kilometers or 1 time per year during preventive diagnostics of a car in a car service. The wear of the belt depends on the operating conditions of the car (asphalt, off-road, extreme), climatic conditions, the presence of engine protection from the road surface and the quality of the belt itself.
All belts of the AVANTECH brand fully comply with foreign and Russian quality standards, as we are told about by periodic tests and tests in Russian laboratories.
High-quality drive belts are distinguished by a long service life, but violation of the requirements for their operation can greatly reduce this period.
INSTALLATION AND OPERATION REQUIREMENTS
1. The belt is installed manually, without the use of tools.
2. The pulley grooves must be clean. Not only mechanical impurities are not allowed, but also any contaminants, including stains of oils, solvents, etc. Such substances destroy rubber, oils cause a loss of speed during operation, the appearance of whistles. In order to avoid contamination, it is recommended to protect the belt drive with a casing.
3. The side walls of the V-belts should fit snugly to the grooves of the pulley. Incorrectly selected angles lead to disproportionate stresses.
4. The tension force is determined by calculation methods or empirically. After installation, the tension must be controlled. Evidence of weak tension is slipping, a drop in speed, a whistle, excessive belt twisting, overheating of the pulley.
5. The joint operation of new and old belts is not allowed. An exception is single-belt drives. In case of damage or wear of one belt, a complete set must be replaced.
Operation errors lead to the appearance of cracks, fringe and other defects on the surface of the belt. By eliminating the factors leading to premature wear, it is possible to extend the period of stable operation of the belt drive.